THE CALIFORNIA PUBLIC HEALTH TRAINING CENTER
Part of the Western Region Public Health Training Center Program
Services We Provide
- Implementation of an online competency and training needs assessment for public health department: California Public Health Training
- Needs and Competency Assessment
- Links to competency-based training (online, in-person, webinar) TRAIN.ORG
- Marketing/promoting trainings and other activities to public health workforce in PH departments and FQHCs
- Developing outreach materials for diverse communities
- Collaborative development and implementation of case-based learning modules in Decision Simulation
- Placement of graduate MPH students for identified internship projects
- The California Public Health Training Center (CAPHTC) is part of the Western Region Public Health Training Center (WRPHTC), a consortium of training centers that is funded by Health and Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). The consortium consists of Arizona, Nevada, California, Hawaii and US Affiliated Pacific Islands.
Our mission is to assess, develop and deliver responsive competency-based training to current and future public health professionals, community leaders and community partners in California through community engagement, education and training activities that strengthen the public health infrastructure. We fulfill this mission by specifically collaborating with the public health workforce that provides services in rural/frontier areas, and to underserved populations in California’s major metropolitan areas. This is where health disparities are greatest and training opportunities are least available. The center serves health professionals in California’s 58 counties.
Regional Public Health Training Centers
The 10 Regional PHTCs provide graduate and specialized training in public health to expand and enhance training opportunities that focus on the technical, scientific, managerial and leadership competencies and capabilities of the current and future public health workforce. Emphasis is placed on developing the existing public health workforce as a foundation for improving the infrastructure of the public health system
The National Coordinating Center for Public Health Training
The National Coordinating Center provides technical assistance to the Regional PHTCs to enhance their capacity and infrastructure to improve the Nation’s public health system by strengthening the technical, scientific, managerial, and leadership competencies of the public health workforce.